Thursday, May 15, 2014

"Blue" Re-Imagined | Testing out Split Frequency Retouching

For the longest time, I've always loved the look of film. From my dad's old Nikon FM up until my 5D2, nothing trumps the look of film to me. Film; I love it and I can't get enough of it. But I was intrigued of how magazines make beauty portraits look so flawless and stunning. Don't get me wrong, I'll never leave my roots but if I were to go commercial one day, I need to learn this stuff.

After constant researching about the best way to go about retouching portraits, I stumbled upon split frequency base editing (for those who studied this in school, go ahead and make fun...it's ok). This probably is the one thing that I needed in my repertoire with fashion photography. I'm still practicing so back off!!

It took me a while to dodge and burn what, as well as what layers to stack, yada yada yada. So below is a photo I took of my homegirl Hazel (@realmisshazel)in my garage this past January (look at my previous post titled "Blue"). I still had the RAW file and did a few tweaks to get it to look ALMOST HDR (but not) in CR first. From there I proceeded to add high and low frequency layers, dodge and burn layers, then topped everything off with a few color filters and contrast filters. I think I'm getting there =)

© Rod Rosete | SUITE 307 Photography